So you’re ready to light up your holiday with string lights and a common thing you will run into is seeing C9 in the description on the the box.
C9 in Christmas Lights refer to the physical dimensions of the bulb.
C9 is the largest bulb of the two most traditional standard sizes. C7 is the other size most often used and is the smaller bulb.
C9 Bulb Dimensions
The ‘C’ refers to the shape of the light bulb and stands for Cone-Shaped. The C9 bulb is about 2.5 inches tall and about 1 1/4 inches round on the widest part of the bulb. It has an E17 candelabra base.
C9 Bulb Wattage
A string of 25 C9 Incandescent Lights can use a whopping 175 watts of electricity. Incandescent lights are old-style, and were traditionally used before LED Lights. Incandescent lights are riskier to use because they will get hot with use and its recommended to keep them away from flammable objects like Christmas Trees and Christmas Decorations due to the risk of Fire.
A string of 25 C9 LED lights will use about 2.4 watts of electricity, so you will be saving a big difference more on your electric bill. LED lights use about 90% less electricity than Incandescent lights. They still run a risk if they’re going to be used on trees and it is recommended that if you use them on a tree, make sure the bulb is fused in the socket and not the kind that you screw in. The reason is because a leaf, a twig, or a pine needle can fall into the space between the light and the socket, and can cause a fire.
What Can You Use C9 Christmas Lights for?
Due to its large size and high impact light display, the C9 Bulb is generally used on a larger scale like for commercial properties.
They are also used to decorate dense 15 Foot and taller Evergreen Christmas Trees outdoors.
Popular C9 Christmas Light Brands
Noma Quick Clip C9 Christmas Lights – Built-in Clip technology on each light bulb to attach itself without the use of a staple gun or having to buy clips.
Philips C9 Christmas Lights – Fun multifunction effect that can perform 8 fun functions to make the lights more entertaining.
Sylvania StayLit Platinum Christmas Lights C9 – Each bulb socket has tiny microchips that keep your lights on even if a bulb breaks, falls off the socket, burns out, loosens, or missing.
Home Accents Holiday Lights C9 – Come in a Variety of colors like Warm White Bulbs, Multicolor, Faceted and Smooth. You can find this brand of Christmas Lights at Walmart.
Opticore Christmas Lights C9 – They’re Shatterproof & so energy efficient that you can connect up to 20 light sets together from a single power source.
Wintergreen C9 Wintergreen C9 LED Christmas Lights
– These bulbs are also shatterproof but what’s unique about them is that they have an Edison-style filament to give a vintage look. This filament allows the C9 bulbs to shine 2x brighter than LED diode bulbs – but they’re also dimmable.
- Wintergreen C9 LED Christmas Lights - Share This! Wintergreen Christmas Lights have an Edison-style filament inside each bulb which gives them a vintage feel but they also shine brighter than the standard LED diode bulb. These bulbs are also dimmable and shatterproof. Wintergreen Lighting 15′ FlexFilament LED Multicolor C9 Wintergreen Lighting 15′ FlexFilament LED Red C9 15′ FlexFilament LED Warm White ...
- Opticore Christmas Lights for the Ultimate Vintage Holiday Look - Share This! Smooth Opticore LEDs will evoke a vintage Christmas feeling of nostalgia when wrapped around Christmas trees or lining walkways and roofs. Major selling points for this brand of Christmas light are: 1. Shatterproof: they’re made of polycarbonate which is up to 200 times stronger than glass 2. Will Last 60,000 hours 3. Connect ...
- Sylvania Stay Lit Christmas Lights C9 - Share This! Sylvania C9 Stay Lit Christmas Lights are popular because of their Stay Lit technology that promises the entire string of lights will stay lit if a bulb becomes burnt out, loose, broken or even missing. Essentially, it promises that the string will never malfunction unless it is cut or a fuse is blown. ...
- Philips C9 Christmas Lights - Share This! An affordable option for C9 LED lights are Philips C9 Christmas Lights. Philips has been a steady good quality brand and a household name. Philips has a few options for their C9 Christmas lights: Warm White, Multicolor, Warm White is a DIM option for lights and won’t give you the brightness you need ...
- Red and White C9 LED Christmas Lights - Share This! One of the most sought after color combinations for C9 LED Christmas Lights are Red & White. Red and White lights are a fun combination and remind me of Peppermint Candy and Candy Canes you would see everywhere on Christmas. What are C9 Christmas Lights? 33ft 50 LED Faceted C9 Christmas Lights – ...
- Hang Outdoor Christmas Lights Easily with Noma Quick Clip C9 Christmas Lights - Share This! It’s time to put your staple guns away, you can hang your Christmas lights easily with Noma Quick Clip Christmas Lights. Since 1925 the Canadian brand, Noma has been trying to find ways to make laborious tasks at home simplified with innovations in holiday lighting and household essentials. Quick Clip™ C9 LED Christmas ...